All times are UTC

Post subject: POL Progress Update 11/1/14
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:56 pm 
Staff
Staff

Skype Name: joeschmothehero
POL Team: Magikarp
Hey POL!

Thanks for tuning in to another monthly progress update! We don't has any huge news like we did last month, but this month has been very productive. We're still energized from the addition of the new programmer to the team last month, and he's making great strides in the code. We've also all but completed the Pokemon database, which contains all of the most up-to-date information and data that POL will use in the game. This has been our main focus over the last month, other than coding, so now that it's basically complete, we're going to move on to other tasks, including mapping (which is currently focused on the Sinnoh region) and spriting.

That's about all for this month! Have a great November!

Post subject: Re: POL Progress Update 11/1/14
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:41 pm 
Tuber
Tuber

A few questions now that we are starting to see some fire under our toes:

Now that the database is almost complete (and updated) will we be seeing the new types and moves from X/Y, or will it be different?

Has the team decided to limit progress experience-wise like other Pokemon MMO's have done, or will it be fairly easy to reach level 100 with a few days of casual play?

How many regions need to be completed before release is planned? Is Sinnoh the last one?

How do you plan to handle Mega Evolutions (if at all)?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:28 pm 
Staff
Staff

Thanks for the questions! In terms of data such as Pokemon stats, moves, etc., our database does include stuff from X/Y. We haven't started thinking about maps for that region, though. For the experience, I don't know exactly what our formula will be, but the idea is that it should take several regions for you to get to level 100. Since we have more content than the original games, I would expect that this should take more than a couple of days!

So, right now we don't have a release schedule or anything. I think our plan is to release as soon as we have a playable game. Mapping-wise, we are ahead of schedule. The problem is that other core parts of the game, such as the database (until recently!) and the code aren't ready yet. We also need to do some work on spriting.

We have Mega Evolutions in our database currently, and we plan to include them in some way. I don't know exactly how they will appear. I don't think it has been decided yet, but someone else might have more information!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:36 pm 
Junior Trainer
Junior Trainer

Missed last month's update, but very excited to hear about the newfound momentum. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:45 am 
Junior Trainer
Junior Trainer

Your response got me thinking, are regions going to be a linear progression? Or will opponents scale with your badge-count so that you can go anywhere (and it consequently becomes easier to level a baby pokemon to meet your highest, which is not a bad thing).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:06 pm 
Staff
Staff

Nope, the regions will not be a linear progression. The way we have it set up now is that you'll choose your starting region, go through that (getting all the badges, beating the elite 4, completing the storyline, etc) and then you'll be able to choose another region to go to, and repeat. What this means is that gym leaders and trainers will scale with how many badges you have, so you can really go in whatever order you want.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:53 am 
Tuber
Tuber

Skype Name: Shoshen_PokeManiac
POL Team: Axis
Nice to know that we now have some momentum going forward. I hope things continue to fall into place. I've watched this project for too many years to see it crumble from lack of will-power, and am excited to see it's rising back to the challenge. =)

"Battling isn't new.. Pokemon have battled for survival since the beginning. The only new addition is us."

"Kabutops DID evolve into Scyther... However- This evolution took over a million years."